Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Lowery's Benediction...

Incidentally, at the moment I'm editing a political economy journal article for a Chinese scholar based in Beijing. It's an economic argument for democracy...

Naturally, the import of this really started getting to me. It hasn't even been 20 years since Tiananmen, and still. It's not a little moving editing what can only be read as a plea for democracy. For the realization of dreams deferred, from the May 4th movement in 1919 to 1989 to 2009. One wonders, if a colored man can ascend to the presidency, then, so too, might China one day be a democracy. (I sort of wish Obama had said this in his inaugural speech...)

Feeling all warm and fuzzy, I couldn't help but recall the last time I had the same feeling, during Lowery's benediction. He totally stole the show...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pEH37JIgBU

No comments:

Post a Comment